Here’s the epic list — I’ve found 9 baby-friendly pubs in Edmonton.
I know some of you might be thinking — babies and pubs — no way. But I’m saying yes — yes way — and I’ve found 9 pubs that will welcome you with open arms.
New parents have it hard enough. I’m not talking babies hanging at the bar until 11 pm. I’m only talking new parents, regular folk just like you, who simply want to join in for lunch, dinner, or a pint at a public place, without feeling awkward that their new baby is along, too. (Of course, it all depends on the cut-off time for minors.) It’s the new, cool thing to do — taking your baby to the bar. It’s time we normalized new motherhood in all spaces.
Moms, take your littles into these 10 wonderful establishments…
9 Baby-Friendly Edmonton Pubs:
1. Situation Brewing | 1 location: Whyte Ave. As Edmonton’s hippest brew pub, you can enjoy in-house made beers and a great atmosphere. They’ve got change tables, plenty of room for car seats and/or strollers, and very welcoming staff. At one point, I saw two strollers and two newborns in there at once.
2. Fionn MacCool’s | 3 locations: City Centre Mall, Gateway Boulevard, Mayfield Common. There are change tables, high chairs available for the wee ones. BIG POINTS: it’s only pub with both high chairs and change tables. Minors are allowed until 9 p.m.
3. Local Public Eatery | 2 locations: Jasper Ave & South Edmonton Common. They’ve got a comfy family section at the back of the SEC location! There are plenty high chairs for the little ones and change tables in both the women’s and men’s washrooms. Local is an Edmonton favourite amongst new parents.
4. 1st Round | 2 locations: West Edmonton Mall & Oliver Square. Babies are always welcome! There are no change tables tables, but Oliver Square has a big countertop that can double as a change table in an emergency. It’s meant to be a family sports restaurant and pub — meaning it’s baby-friendly, too.
5. Craft Beer Market | 1 location: the new, modern brew-house on Rice Howard Way. Craft supports community with Meal Share and the Ronald McDonald House. There are no high chairs or change tables, but there is a large “island” in the washroom that will double as one. Craft always welcomes new babies. Minors allowed until 9 p.m.
6. The Sherlock Holmes Pubs | 3 locations, one cool “house” location on Rice Howard Way. Sherlock’s is known as an inviting, local neighbourhood pub — take the babes. They do have high chairs available for use, just no change tables. Minors are allowed until 6 p.m.
7. O’Byrnes Irish Pub | 1 location: Whyte Avenue. O’Byrnes is known as Edmonton’s oldest authentic Irish pub. I love the atmosphere. They’ve got high chairs, just make sure to ask them directly — they have no change tables, though. Minors allowed until 9 p.m.
8. The Next Act | 1 location. This self-proclaimed casual pub is just off Whyte Avenue. Babies and kids are always welcome, but they have no high chairs due to space limitations. There are no change tables for the same reason, but it’s still a wonderful place to grab great grub with the tiniest of babies. Minors allowed until 4 p.m.
9. Duggan’s Boundary Irish Pub |1 location. As the second Irish pub on my list, it’s located in Bonnie Doon and it’s rumoured to be haunted — awesome!! There’s no change table, but they do have high chairs and warmly welcome young ones. Minors are allowed until 7 p.m.
There you have it, mommies!
Try out these pubs with your newborns, your older, solid-eating champs and toddlers. I’d love to hear about how your experience was, how the staff treated you, and how accessible and easy it was to take your baby. We should not be afraid to get out with our newest little additions.
Cheers and SLAINTE, my lovely mommy friends.